200 - 500
A little bit more about Preferred Mutual Insurance
The Preferred Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Chenango County, as it was first known, was founded in 1896 by Frank E. Holmes. Holmes modeled the company after the first insurance company in the United States, “The Philadelphia Contributionship for Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire,” founded by Ben Franklin in 1752.
As a mutual fire insurance company owned entirely by its policyholders, the company offered broader coverage at a considerably lower cost than was charged by stock insurance companies of the time, which operated for the profit of investors. With only a skeleton management team of just three employees, including Holmes, his wife Cora, and an office clerk, Holmes introduced a new operational format by selling policies through a network of agencies.
In 1899, the offices of Preferred Mutual burned to the ground, along with 11 other buildings in New Berlin. Ironically, Holmes carried no fire insurance on his business property. Fortunately, the company was able to quickly regain its footing and began a long record of growth and profitability.
Today, Preferred Mutual Insurance Company employs more than 270 people and operates in association with over 450 independent agents located in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
Artifacts from Preferred Mutual’s history are on permanent loan exhibit at the Chenango Historical Society.
Lines of Business
Find them on the Web
How to report a claim with Preferred Mutual
- By phone: You can file a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Just call the claims hotline 800-333-7642 to get things started. And, if you need help immediately, they can arrange for roadside assistance. So give them a call, day or night, and they’ll be there to lend a hand.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online: Our secure online customer service center lets you enter a claim and check its status 24/7/365. To get started, register and/or log onto MYPreferred;
How to pay a bill to Preferred Mutual Insurance
- Online: Go to https://www.preferredmutual.com/payments/payment-options/account-billing begin by entering your policy number which can be found on your Preferred Mutual Insurance bill, Proof of Insurance ID card or your Insurance Declaration document.
- By phone: To reach their billing specialists, please call 800-333-7642, Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00 pm PT.
- Mail: Send a check or money order by mail and make it payable to: Preferred Mutual Insurance Company, P.O. Box – 419669, Boston, MA 02241-9669